1 / 23
Have a Plan
The time to prepare for severe weather is when there isn’t a cloud in the sky. Take a few minutes and put together a family survival plan. It’ll help keep your loved ones and your home safe. For more in detail information about what you can to right now to prepare for a storm click here.
It is also important to create an essential phone numbers list and store in a safe, readily available place. Create your own here.
2 / 23
Severe Weather: Hurricane
Hurricanes can change direction and intensity very quickly. Stay tuned to local radio and TV stations for updates.
In the case of a Hurricane:
- Listen to radio or watch TV for weather updates.
- Locate Storm Readiness Kit. Click here to learn what to include and how to prepare your own.
- Gas up your vehicle, in case of an evacuation notice.
- Fill gas containers for generator. Store in a safe place. Learn more about emergency generators here.
- Bring in outdoor objects such as lawn furniture, toys and garden tools, and anchor objects that cannot be brought inside. Learn how to prepare your yard here.
- Clear your yard of debris.
- Review evacuation plans.
- Install storm protection devices such as shutters. Brace entry doors and garage doors.
- Anchor your boat securely or move it to a designated safe place. Learn how here.
For more in-depth information regarding what to do in the case of a hurricane click here.