Lead paint is dangerous, especially for small children, who might eat crumbling paint chips or pick up lead dust on their hands, which they might stick in their mouth. Each year, thousands of children test positive for dangerous levels of lead. Lead in children—even small amounts—can cause behavioral issues, a lower IQ, ADD and physical problems. Homes built before 1978 are likely to contain at least some lead paint. If your home is that vintage, it's important to reduce the risk of exposure to you and your family when doing paint prep, repairs or home renovation.